Intern Diaspora Engagement
Call for Curriculum Vitae 2023-03
Position Title : Intern – Diaspora Engagement
Duty Station : Country Office Brussels, Belgium
Type of Appointment : Internship
Duration of Assignment : 6 months
Estimated Start Date : 1 March 2023
Closing Date : 26 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Labour Mobility and Inclusion (LMI) Unit at IOM Belgium and Luxembourg is developing and implementing projects in subject areas such as migration and development, labour migration, integration, counter-trafficking, vulnerable migrant groups and unaccompanied migrant children (UMC).
The intern will support and strengthen diaspora engagement activities in Belgium and Luxembourg, which includes, but is not limited to,supporting the implementation of the O-REMIT project (a project that explores costeffective alternatives for remittances and opportunities for investment of savings for diasporas residing in Belgium), outreach activities (meetings, newsletter and social media), assisting with content creation for the Diaspora Insights podcast, research relevant to diaspora communities in Belgium and Luxembourg, follow-up on the Diaspora Advisory Board and project development.
The intern will have the opportunity to work in close cooperation with other colleagues in the IOM Belgium & Luxembourg Country Office.
The Intern will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Within the framework of the O-REMIT project:
a. Support the O-REMIT project team with the operational implementation of project activities, such as outreach to diaspora organizations and individuals, data collection efforts, creation of a sensitization campaign and content creation for workshops;
b. Assist with the research on the topics of remittance flows and remittance behaviours of diasporas. Assist with the analyses of trends and summarize results;
c. Assist with the administrative tasks of the O-REMIT project. This includes assisting with the drafting of
meeting reports and minutes, background information documents to prepare meetings and PowerPoint
d. Assist with the preparation and logistical organization of virtual and in-person events, conferences and
e. Support the project team with communication activities: creating social media/website content, help drafting visibility materials, keeping track of all communication material, reviewing press for remittance related news, etc.
Within the framework of general Diaspora Engagement Unit activities:
f. Support the Diaspora focal point with outreach and visibility activities with regards to diaspora members in Belgium and Luxembourg. This includes creation of content of the biannual diaspora newsletter, creation of social media content, updating the Diaspora webpage, preparing written interviews of diaspora members, updating the diaspora contact list and outreach to umbrella diaspora organizations;
g. Assist in the further development of the Diaspora Insights podcast, by identifying and interviewing diaspora members in Belgium;
h. Assist in the further operationalization of IOM Belgium and Luxembourg’s Diaspora Advisory Board, which aims to be a place of cooperation and co-creation between diaspora members and IOM. This also includes the logistic preparation of the DAB meetings.
i. Assist in undertaking research, data collection and analysis related and relevant to diaspora communities (remittances, human capital, entrepreneurship) in Belgium, Luxembourg, the EU and in third countries;
j. Assist the project coordinator with the development of new diaspora projects.
k. Any other duty within the incumbent’s capabilities as assigned by the Chief of Mission and the Head of Unit.
Training Components and Learning Elements
o Gain working experience in an international multicultural environment within the UN system;
o Gain expertise in the field of migration and more specifically in the area of remittances, diaspora
investments and diaspora engagement;
o Become acquainted with the work of diaspora members in Belgium and their countries of origin;
o Gain expertise on the different phases of the project management cycle (project implementation, project development);
o Gain a better understanding of IOM’s work, as an inter-governmental organization in the field of Migration with actors such as the European Union, Governments and other partners to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
University degree (Bachelor or Master) in Economics, Statistics (data management), Migration Studies, Communication, Sociology, Anthropology, or other fields of study from an accredited academic institution.
• Familiarity with diaspora organisations or communities (residing in Belgium) or being part of the diaspora would be an advantage.
• First working experience, internship or volunteering experience related to project management would be an advantage.
• Knowledge of the Belgian context and policies in the field of migration is an advantage.
• Strong writing and drafting skills are a requirement.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills are a requirement.
• Computer literacy, especially database and formatting tools are an advantage;
• Familiarity with design and/or editing tools is an advantage.
Proficiency in English is required; Fluency in Dutch and/or in French is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages
diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility or own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
The internship is subject to local recruitment: only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of vaccination against COVID-19.
The intern is expected to apply and obtain a scholarship to cover his/her costs of living during the internship. An application can be submitted, for instance, to the Flanders Trainee Programme - Departement Buitenlandse Zaken (fdfa.be), Wallonie-Bruxelles International (wbi.be) or Erasmus+ program.
The start of the internship position is based upon availability of funding for the position.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications, CV and Cover Letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 26 January 2023, 23:59 Brussels time at the latest, referring to this advertisement and including in the subject line of the mail: "CFCV 2023-03".
IOM only accepts applications duly completed. IOM reserves the right to contact shortlisted candidates only. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in an online written test, after which successful candidates will be interviewed.